6/24 was a very tough day for me
I had to sit with my grief and emotion regarding the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe vs. Wade.
I needed to find words to articulate a meaningful message.
- Women’s healthcare is complex.
- Women carry the entire risk/burden related to pregnancy and childbirth.
- Monthly cycles
- Miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies
- 9 months of gestation
- Childbirth- with inherent risks of bleeding, infection, blood clots, strokes, seizures, and death
- Women are victims of rape & incest
- Women breast-feed and are primary care-takers.
Yet, now women’s lives are even more at risk in our country. Already there are many stories of delayed care for women hemorrhaging with ectopics and miscarriages due to healthcare provider’s fear of being charged with a felony.
It is surreal to me. It is heart-breaking. And yes- the poor, less-educated, and marginalized will suffer most. Over turning Roe does not simply stop “elective” abortions, it creates medical chaos for women throughout their entire reproductive lives, from carrying a baby with painful, fatal anomalies to harrowing maternal emergencies and more.
On the Fourth of July, I want to celebrate our freedom. I am so proud to be an American. But today, women in our country are less free.
#womensrightsarehumanrights #womenshealth #abortionishealthcare #hoagdoc #momdoc #conciergeobgyn #lovemyjob #freedom #idissent